Tylor Skory's Travel Blog

First Day at Sea

leave a comment

Today was the first day at sea. I have international texting turned on for my phone and as we cruise around, my signal comes and goes. Around 5am, we passed into wireless signal and my phone connected and sent over a bunch of texts from my Facebook account of family and friends commenting on pictures I had posted the previous evening. So I spent a little time reading through those and eventually decided to chat with my family back home. Thankfully (really, thank god) the wifi reaches to my cabin. I was actually really surprised when I tried FaceTiming and got crystal clear picture 90% of the time. I attribute this to 1) Apple. Somehow they deigned a really efficient chat system. I’ve found the quality and reliability way better than Skype. 2) My room position. For example, my Grandparent’s cabin doesn’t get good enough Wifi to use. 3) The fact that most of the people on this ship are over 60 and most likely aren’t hogging the bandwidth.

The first thing I did was head to the deck and use their jogging track. It’s a small track the runs around the ship. It was actually really nice because it overlooked the morning ocean, had a nice cool breeze and was a fantastic view. I’ll definitely be using it each morning. After I was done, I went back to my cabin, showered and headed to breakfast. So far, it doesn’t really seem to be that busy on the boat. For such a small ship, I’d thought that everyone would be on top of each other but that hasn’t been the case. I was able to get a seat outside on the balcony and eat my breakfast watching the waves.

The rest of the day was pretty relaxed. I went back down for breakfast with my grandparents after they woke up. I was a bit tired (probably from the timzone difference). I definitely wouldn’t call it jet-lag though. Still, I went back to my cabin and watched some TV episodes I’d pre downloaded back home on my computer and then took a nap.

The boat has been pretty rocky today. I was kind of surprised. There was definitely a lot of movement. While I was sleeping, it was actually pretty relaxing. After my nap, we headed down for afternoon tea. Then I helped my grandpa with some computer stuff and we chatted for a while.

For dinner, we went to the dining room for the first time. Unfortunately, the dining room is situated in the back of the ship. The entire meal I was feeling queazy for the first time since getting on the ship. It was literally like trying to eat dinner while on the “Pirate Ship” ride at Cedar Point. I couldn’t see anything outside (because it was so dark) but I constantly felt the rising and falling motion in my stomach and couldn’t eat anything. I went back to my room early and got some rest. Once I was back in my cabin, I was feeling a bit better and was able to get to sleep quickly.

Written by Tylor Skory

February 29th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Posted in Australia

Tagged with