Tylor Skory's Travel Blog

Formal Night

leave a comment

This morning I was feeling much better. I woke up, FaceTimed with my family back home and then headed to the jogging track. It really is nice! I enjoy being on the deck early in the morning. The sun isn’t too hot and there’s a nice breeze. At breakfast, we ate at the buffet. I was able to have gluten free pancakes. The cruise has been really accommodating with making gluten free foods. The pancakes were surprisingly good. We were having a late breakfast that extend into lunchtime. My grandpa got out his Macbook and we decided to pop in on some family members back home via FaceTime. It was really cool to be able to talk with people back home (it’s a good thing that almost all of my extended family has Apple products). He really enjoyed it and kept commenting throughout the day on how amazed he was that we were able to do that in the middle of the ocean (yay Apple!).

I ordered a gluten free pizza for lunch and we took that upstairs and ate on my grandparents balcony. It’s awesome to just sit out there and watch the waves. It was really relaxing. We were talking for a while and eventually we all fell asleep. I decided to head back to my room and take a nap and watch some TV.

Later in the afternoon, my grandpa and I headed down for some tea. We sat on the balcony downstairs and talked for a while. I’m glad that our paces are pretty well matched – I really enjoy working out in the morning, then just taking the day slowly, napping, eating, and catching a show in the evening.

Tonight was formal night so that meant that we had to get dressed up. I really don’t like getting dressed in a suit but I bought this fun hat that I wore and it made it a little more manageable. People seemed to enjoy the hat. Dinner was delicious! I was glad to be able to actually eat dinner in the dinning room. The boat must have been calmer that evening (my grandpa attributed that to dancers performing that evening. He said that they intentionally try and keep it smooth or otherwise they have difficulty performing). We moved our dinner to six o’clock (it was previously at eight) and I was really happy about that. For one, eating dinner at eight and catching the ten o’clock show was very tiring. Now we’ll eat at six and catch the eight show, which should be way better. Also, they speed up the engines at night (which is most likely why I felt queazy last night), so the six o’clock dinner should be smoother.

Tonight was the first performance we were able to go to, and it was really great. It was a group of eight singers and dancers performing a verity of Broadway songs. I was surprised how good it was. The music was superb, there was lots of costume changes and the dancing was great.

The last big event of the evening was when I realized that after changing into my suit, I’d forgotten my room key! So I had to go back downstairs, call someone up to the front desk and go back upstairs to have them unlock my bedroom and finally get some sleep. Tomorrow will be our last day out at sea before we reach Cairns. We already booked our excursion, which will be a line rail ride over the rainforest. I’m looking forward to it!

Written by Tylor Skory

March 1st, 2012 at 11:09 am

Posted in Australia

Tagged with ,